My Lasagna Garden!


Okay, so I have a garden! Our backyard is supposed to have grass, but since it's a rental they've let it grow to tall weeds. So I decided to grow a garden...and since the Bay Area dirt is more like clay, I decided to attempt a Lasagna Garden based on my friends(Kathryn Lamby Spagnolo) garden last year.

So here are pics! (Before Picture with dead weeds)

(Laying down wet newspaper/cardboard)


A Lasagna Garden is where you lay wet newspaper or cardboard down over the dirt so NO WEEDS COME UP! Then, you later it with grass, leaves, compost, peat moss, etc. I prepped the ground in March where I proceeded to use all my vegi/fruit scraps for the compost. I then would layer it and cover it with black plastic where the sun cooked the garden down to a dark moist dirt pile. Then at the end of April I planted my garden.

There are:
2 Lasagna Piles,
1 Lasagna Style Container (which is a left over tire I found in our yard) where I planted Bush Beans! My hope is that the Bush Beans will grown and cover the tire.
1 Lasagna Style Ring where I contained it with red brick rings

A hand full of pots (half lasagna style and half potting soil) where I planted a jug with a pin-prick in the bottom where water can self water the plant. In theory I should be able to fill it up once a week and the plant sucks the water out when it needs water.

Then, I also planted peas, tomatoes, and beans straight in the ground soil to experiment on which way works the best. I added Amending Soil to the Clay Soil.

That's it!!!

Guess how many tomatoe plants I have? I bought 8...my visiting teacher brought me 1 more, my roommates Mom gave me 2 more, my friend is moving and offered me 3 of hers along with her little citrus tree. So...14 Tomatoe plants will soon be in my garden. Too much? maybe:)



7 comments:

Jen said...

fabulous! can we hire you to do ours? :)

Jamie said...

wow, looks awesome, beautiful garden! keep us posted on how it grows. :)

Flowers said...

You have a beautiful garden. It was nice going through your blog. Keep on posting.

Holzer Family Chaos said...

That is truly impressive!! And, your first major garden project seems to be a success already. Of course, I realized you had a green thumb when you got things to grow in Bountiful single-handed. Good luck, and we'll look forward to further pictures. Love, Mom

Justin said...

perdy garden
Let us know what you're growing.
Doesn't your weather let you grow veggies year round?

Justin said...

how did you know what to add to the soil?

Angie said...

I'm growing Tomatoes, Zucchini (green and yellow), eggplant, peas, beans, onions, lettuce (but it's struggling), chives, strawberries, cucumbers, and flowers!!!! oh and lots of herbs (basil, cilantro, marjoram, mint, parsley)

A friend told me that they used their clay soil to plant in and 'Amended' the soil. So when I went to Home Depot I saw a 'Amender' bag for clay soil. viola! I added it to my soil. :) I hope I didn't need to research it more then that:)